Heart Passion Rage Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heart Passion Rage Hockey League

A sim league operated by EHM for a new generation of GMs.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

GM tactics for lineups

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GM*AJ
Simmers

GM tactics for lineups Empty
PostSubject: GM tactics for lineups   GM tactics for lineups I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 5:19 pm

There are a few options available when making your lines. They are as follows
Passing plays: reliable for your offensive guys, this is the most basic strategy.

Run &Gun: this simply does not work well at all. You may get some goals from a line of all 90's oa players with this, but they will allow more than they score.

Dump & Chase: Primarily a 4th line tactic with fast skaters who's abilities are limited.

Hit & Grind: The true essence of hockey, there is also a bug in the game that makes this the "super tactic" in most cases.A lot of online leagues have rules against allowing this to be used too much, if your league does not have such a rule, I suggest using it lots!

Neutral Zone Trap: This is a great strategy for a 3rd line with great defensive forwards. I am a strong believer that every team needs one of these lines to succeed.

Options for Power Plays
Shooting:this is the basic setting, like passing plays on the regular lines, but it emphasizes more in the attacking zone, not the whole rink.

-Screen & Shoot:Got a big C? A Dman with a hard shot? This is your setting.

-Passing Plays:Know how NHL teams sit there and cycle the puck back and forth looking for an opening? This is it.

-Crash The Net:This was always my favorite in NHL ea games, lol, (did I just refer to crappy ea games?-slaps for me) Anyway, in EHM it is a bit more of a gamble, this is great if your line is huge and you have 2 Dmen on the point.

-Shot from the point:Advice? Don't bother.

Options for Penalty Kills
Aggressive:If you have a hardon for giving up goals but getting some as well, here you go.

-Loose Box:Something I affectionately refer to as "loose cannon", this will shut down any passing plays strategy on the PP, but that's about it.

-Passive Box:Best PK setting there is, no question. It adjusts to all situations. This is my opinion.

-Small Box:This will clog the middle of the zone, anyone trying to crash your net or screen & shoot won't have much success.

-Tight Box:If there is any difference between this and Small Box, I do not see it. Anyone using passing plays against this will rip you a new one.

Source: fhockey.com
Back to top Go down
https://hprhl.canadian-forum.com
GM*AJ
Simmers

PostSubject: Re: GM tactics for lineups   GM tactics for lineups I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Tactics
I am a 1 line team with no supporting players.

Well, if you are a one line team, you know what line #1 will look like. If these players are all offense, you will probably do best with a "passing plays" strategy and a shift length of 70. If they are defense, a solid "hit and grind" combination with a 60 is supreme. Line 2 should be the support for these players, you want to have some oomph to get out there and take some minutes away from your tired line 1. No matter what kind of line you put out, the 2nd line has to be productive. A simple NHL style recipe is best, 1 shooter, 1 passer and 1 grinder. A good old "dump and chase" will be sufficient and a shift length of 40. Line 3 may be getting scary for you now, this is basically your trap line on a 1 line team, hitting is not important here, what is important is defense, positioning(marking) and checking. (Please note that a 'check' is not a hit, i.e. a poke check is a type of check, this is his ability to execute once in position). "Neutralzone trap" is the strategy and a 30 shift length is good. Line 4 becomes an after thought here, you have to have one, so you cannot simply ignore them, you can use it as any combination, another trap line, a grind line, another scoring line, depends on what you have as your remaining depth, a shift length of 20 and a strategy to fit the players you use is recommended.

I am all offense, all the way down.

Ah, the ever creative team with very little "character" support, this is a fun team, but not a smart team, but hey, who am I to criticize? It is your team. This will depend on how far down your depth chart goes and what the overalls are line between players 1-4 on each position. An ideal all offense team will use Line strategy "passing plays" with a shift length between 50 and 60 (depending on how much better line 1 is than line 2). Line 2 can be more open, with no one behind you to pick up the trash, a "dump and chase" or the ever dangerous and not so brilliant "Run and Gun" can be used here with very little fear, a shift of 40 to 50 is best.(depending on how much better line 2 is than line 3). If you choose to set line 2 t one of the above options, you can have line 3 be more reliable, again a "passing plays" is good, and a shift length of 30 to 40 (depending on how much better line 3 is than line 4). Line 4 is all about fun, these guys are the 4th scoring line on a team with 4 scoring lines! If this line is good, match the shift length with line 3, if they are not as good, make them 10 less, you know, just like stated above. The strategy? It doesn't matter! These guys can try anything, they are rarely on the ice, whichever strategy has them scoring the most, use it.

I have 2 good scoring lines and some other players.

The overall of your players comes into play some here, you do not want to simply put your 3 best players all on one line, this may weaken your second lines scoring. The old philosophy on "spread out the scoring" can be used on a team like this one, line 1 and 2 may be very different in abilities, line 1 may have players that are 80-80-80 and line 2 is 72-73-74. mix them, put your 2 best players on line 1 and your 2nd best player for the remaining position on line 1 with them, the best one on line 2. Each line can be set to "passing plays" and each can have a shift that ranges between 50 or 60. i.e., line one is 60 and line 2 is 50, or make both 60, or both 50. The support line on line 3 is a great idea to make this the trap line, all defense is good here, hitting is not important here, what is important is defense, positioning(marking) and checking. (Please note that a 'check' is not a hit, i.e. a poke check is a type of check, this is his ability to execute once in position). "Neutralzone trap" is the strategy and a 30 shift length is good. On a team like this, the 4th line isn't just a "toss out what you have left" line, you need to be creative. Line 4 should be your grind line. This is the line with the enforcers and hitters. Defense should come above all and the players need to be big with the ability to "Hit and Grind" as the line strategy suggests. The shift length can be 20 or 30 depending on how much better line 2 is.

I am all defense, all the way down

This is a tricky team, but this can be a winning team also, This is more or less the Wild, and hey, they win! How do they do it? Line 1, shift length can be set at 40 or 50, depending on how much better line 1 is than 2, it is good to make both line 1 and 2 the same shift, mix your players (don't put the best 3 players all on line 1) and make them both "hit and grind". Line 2 can be either 40 or 50 as well.Line 3 and 4, again, mix them, and make them both "neutral zone trap" and shift them at 30.

I have nothing, can I salvage this team?
Yes, this is a team that most people say is "rebuilding", you are likely playing a bunch of rookies before they are ready to play, bravo! You may be nuts, but you can make this work. First thing is first, overall just went out the window, Line 1, 2, 3, and 4 will all be at 40 for length. You can adjust this separating the 1st line from the 4th as the season moves on. Line one needs the best players with Offense (not overall) on it. Make this strategy "passing plays". Line 2 will be your best defense players, this line will be "Neutralzone Trap". Line 3 will be your biggest remaining players (make these guys all train on physic for a while too, he he), this is the "Hit and Grind" line. Line 4 can be your best remaining players by overall, this is the "dump and chase" line, it can also be a great weapon as a second "Hit and Grind" line. This is a "nothing to lose" circumstance, but at least these lines will gain you some respect.

Back to top Go down
GM*AJ
Simmers

PostSubject: Re: GM tactics for lineups   GM tactics for lineups I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 5:27 pm

Power Play and Penalty Kill Tactics

The players- This is one of the few areas that the game does well on it's own for lines. The computer lines will set your best offensive threats on the PP and the best defensive tools on PK. The only thing you may want to change is, try a F on D for the PP, and don't be shy about adding an extra Dman to F on the PK. The only thing you may want to worry about in the PK if you do an extra Dman is, make sure your 1 F can win faceoffs

Tactics and shift lengths-This really depends a lot on how deep your team is. If you are a 1 PP line team, you will leave the shift lengths at default(80-40), it is best, same with your PK. The best are the best. If you are a 2 line team, consider the shifts at 70-50, don't balance them out, 60-60 is a losing cause.

A few more words on the players you choose.-If you are going to take my advice, and I hope you do, the lines will have simple combos to follow. The PP should have someone who can pass, and someone who can score, that is basic. The PK is a little harder. The players you have on them need to be defensive for sure, but not just any kind of defensive. The people you'd use on your 4th line sometimes, like the big hitters and scrappers aren't really going to help your PK much. The 2 most important defensive stats for the PK are positioning and checking. Hitting is not important here. Also, I cannot stress enough the importance of having a guy who can win faceoffs on your PK. This is all, hope you enjoyed it!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GM tactics for lineups   GM tactics for lineups I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GM tactics for lineups
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Passion Rage Hockey League :: General Manager :: Message Board-
Jump to: